I’ve been talking to friends and family during this quarantine, not that much because I’m an introvert so I don’t socialise much or maybe not that I don’t socialise much. I do socialise but I need my me time and I’m not being able to have much me time because my son is home.
Anyway, the people that I have been talking to were telling me how they have been spending their time, and of course, mom’s are spending most of their time with their kids and it’s important to use this time with your kids to do something productive but at the same time just let them play and make them feel less alone and more loved.
As for me, the activities that I do with my son vary depending on my energy and my mood and depending on his energy and his mood. Lately, I was playing “I spy” with him. It’s a very nice game that requires no tools because we have a lot of colouring books and art supplies and activity books so we’ve been doing a lot of coloring and activity books, but it gets boring after a while and so we’re looking for other activities to do.
Wait. This isn’t what the blog post is about. This blog post is not just for Mom’s. However, I will include a page of 100 activities to do with your kids indoors for my fellow moms (some of them apply to non moms as well, such as playing board games).
As for the rest of you and us moms as adults, we need to be productive as adults besides spending time with our kids and there are several ways to do so.
I’ve been talking to some people who are spending their time watching TV shows, and as much as I recommend binge watching your favourite TV show, I also feel like it’s a huge dopamine boost that when you’re done watching will fall and you will feel depressed probably. I don’t recommend watching all the time. I can’t tell you what you should or shouldn’t do but what I recommend is to do other things that will help you feel productive and help you feel less lonely and depressed.
It can be really depressing, being in quarantine, being trapped and not being able to go outside. I mean, part of taking care of your mental health it’s important to connect with nature, to go outside, to socialize and all these things many people are not being able to do them and so online socialising is a very good idea to take care of your mental health but again that’s not what this blog is about.
This blog is about productivity, so here are 5 ways to be more productive during quarantine:
1. Create a morning and evening routine, if you don’t already have one. Routines help us feel stable, and also boost productivity. When you have a productive morning routine, you get more things done and avoid procrastination. Example of a morning and evening routine:
2. Get moving! Whether you are able to go out for a run while practicing social distancing, or you’re on lockdown and have to exercise from home, just do it. If you have a treadmill, go on it. If you don’t have any equipment, watch a YouTube workout video or follow the exercises of an app. The workout app i use is called 7M women and has a variety of workouts for everyone.
3. Clean, tidy or organize your house. You know the loads of laundry you’ve been procrastinating? Do them. If you need to organize your bookshelf or closet or pantry, do it. Actually, with spring here, this is the perfect time to spring clean, remove the carpets, and put the winter clothes away. As for Australians, winter is coming, so you might want to do the opposite.
4. Read and/or write. If you don’t have a reading list, make one. Write down which books you want to read this year and start reading. If you have books at home, or ebooks on your phone or laptop, start reading them. Also, if you’re interested, you can read my books on Amazon. The links are all here, in ebook and paperback. Sadly, due to the virus, Amazon is currently not shipping paperbacks to Lebanon, and kindle ebooks are not available in any of the Arab world countries for some reason.
5. Dress well. Just because you are stuck at home, it doesn’t mean you can’t look good doing it. If you’re working from home, dress as if you’re going to work. It’ll make you feel better and help you be more productive at work. If you’re not working, still dress up, wear makeup, shower daily if you can so you can look good and smell good. The better you feel, the more productive you will be.
These are the main tips i have for being more productive. I wrote this because I needed it. I’ve been feeling very lazy lately, except for reading and writing, so i will start making these changes in order to be more productive.