I started reading this book “What are you optimistic about?” yesterday, and it got me thinking.
What am I optimistic about?
The economic fall in Lebanon to suddenly rise and for the Lebanese Lira to get its value back?
The political bickering to stop and for us to finally have a democratic country that doesn’t imprison muslims just because they have beards and who actually look after the sunni muslims of the country and build our wonderful country instead of putting our money in their pockets, leaving us to starve?
How about my son being able to go to school this year, as opposed to last year when he couldn’t go to school 1st due to the revolution and then because of COVID-19, and having a normal social life where he can play with his friends and not feel confused about what day it is and why he can’t just go to school?
This year no, but I have hope for him to go next year, when he is going to be in 1st grade.
How about this: Do I feel optimistic about getting over my anxiety and depression?
Yes, because I’ve done it before and I can do it again. That’s why I’m writing this post, to find things to be optimistic about.
Before I continue, what is optimism? To me it is hope for a better future and it stems from my faith in God.
Let’s talk bigger.
The book I’m reading was written by 100 people who have never experienced poverty, and who have high social statuses, but nevertheless, let’s see what they’re so optimistic about.
I won’t replay the whole book. I’ve only read a few pages so far, but 2 things that were prominant were:
1. Optimism about decreased violence.
As much as I find it hard to believe, but statistics say that there has been decrease in violence over the years, and that although violence still exists, it is usually hidden and condemned.
My personal opinion is that people with power still exercise their power on the weak, turturing people. And I believe it’s not well hidden, people are just too scared to do anything about it.
2. Optimism about the end of war.
I must say that if it weren’t for my faith, and the knowledge I have, I wouldn’t hold my breath.
See, I’ve read the book “the signs of the day of judgement”, and in that book, it says that Palestine will be freed, and that KSA will become all green instead of being a desert, and that Jesus will descend and kill the one eyed gargoyle (dajjal) and bring peace to the earth. Now nobody knows when the day of judgement will be, but I have a feeling it won’t be during my lifetime. At the look of things, the apocalypse is nothing like the film 2012, but rather something different, killing us slowly.
So, what are you optimistic about?
I asked this question on instagram and one person answered “nothing” while another answered “to get out of Lebanon“, so there’s that.
What am I optimistic about?
1. I’m optimistic about not becoming poor, or at least I have hope and I keep praying.
2. I’m optimistic about not catching COVID-19 or any other serious disease.
3. I’m optimistic about not becoming paralyzed, but I’m not so sure about cancer. Both my grandparents died of cancer and 2 cousins of my dad’s as well, but I hope I don’t get cancer.
4. I’m optimistic about not becoming obese. I’m not exactly model weight but I have the hope and confidence that at least I won’t go overboard.
I don’t know what tomorrow holds for me, and even today is full of surprises.
5. I’m scared, but deep down I have hope that tomorrow won’t suck and that I can become a better person if I keep trying to get over my social awkwardness, and most of all I pray for world peace and the end of poverty.