1. Make your bed. This is really simple but very important. Making your bed prevents you from sleeping back in it, but also, even if you haven’t cleaned the room, making the bed makes the room look so much tidier.
2. Clear your desk. They say this in all the tips for productivity, because being organized is proportional to being productive. Don’t leave too many things lying around on your desk, too many papers, etc.
3. Don’t leave dishes in the sink. This sounds like a cleanliness tip, and it is, but it’s also about organizing. The sight of a full sink is distracting and disturbing and unorganized, at least to me. The sight of an empty sink, though. Bliss. I know it’s difficult to keep up with housework when you have young kids, but at least try to keep up with the dishes. Laundry as well. Same effect.
4. Use it, or give it away. Don’t buy clothes just because they’re on sale. Don’t accumulate clothes in your closet that you’re not going to wear. A good strategy I learned about how to know which clothes we don’t wear and need to give away (because some people, like me, tend to just wear the same 5 outfits in the front of the closet) at the beginning of the month, organize your closet, and everytime you wear something, put it aside so you know you wore it. At the end of the month, the clothes you didn’t wear (except the ones for special occasions, those should be organized yearly) are the ones you should give away. Same goes with things that are not clothes, like makeup and perfumes and stuff. Less is more.
5. Categorize. This is my favorite. My son learned to categorize from me. He has all his toys color coded. He has his animals categorized by type. I happen to think he goes a step too far, but categorizing papers for example (my sons papers are categorized as well. Paw patrol coloring is separate from lion gaurd coloring and so on. Drawings are in a different pile than paintings for example) is really important and can help you find what you need when you’re looking for it.
Remember, these are tips for being more organized, as in tidy. If you want tips to be more productive, click here.