Hello 👋 reader and welcome to my blog! Today I’m going to talk about the different types of self-care. It’s not all face masks and bubble baths. Sometimes it’s a nap or a walk or a piece of cake.
Self-care is important to maintain a healthy relationship with yourself as it produces positive feelings and boosts your confidence and self-esteem.
Self-neglect is a behavioral condition in which an individual neglects to attend to their basic needs, such as personal hygiene, appropriate clothing, feeding, or tending appropriately to any medical conditions they have.
Self-neglect can lead to all sorts of health problems, from anxiety and depression to insomnia and heart diseases.
Sometimes it’s hard to self-care simply because caring for yourself necessitates deconstructing bad habits and self destructive behavior.
Below are several examples of how you can nurture yourself and make self-care a part of your everyday life in the four areas of self-care: physical, emotional, spiritual and mental.
- Drink some water first thing in the morning. Water is important for your health in so many ways.
- Make a menu for the week. Meal planning saves you a lot of time and energy, and helps you eat healthier.
- Practice yoga. Stretching your body and focusing on your breathing is both relaxing and strengthens your body.
- Have a mini dance party. Dancing relieves stress and burns calories.
- Take a quick nap or go to bed early. Sleep is very important for normal function of your body.
- Take a hot bath or shower. Hygiene is important for your health and helps boost your mood.
- Give yourself a spa night with one of those face masks. Besides nourishing your skin, it’s also relaxing.
- Go for a walk somewhere and connect with nature. Walking exercises the whole body, and the connection with nature is an added emotional benefit.
- Try an at-home workout. Exercise increases your energy and improves the heart function and decreases your risk of getting several diseases.
- Eat well. Eating healthy foods keeps your body healthy and energized.
- Write down five things every day that didn’t totally suck
- Take a new route to work.
- Binge watch Netflix or silly YouTube videos (without also checking emails and social media on your phone, or working on your laptop)
- Sit in a coffee shop and do some people watching.
- Go to your local flower market and grab a bright bunch of flowers to make you smile.
- Give yourself a pedicure or a manicure.
- Sit on the front porch or balcony.
- Create your emergency self-care box.
- Keep in touch. Staying in touch with family and friends gives you a sense of belonging and elevates your mood.
- Give charity.
- Do an act of kindness everyday.
- Practice gratitude.
- Practice forgiveness.
- Set aside some time to read a new (or old favourite) book.
- Take 5 minutes to decompress every day.
- Enroll in a self-development class.
- Try meditation.
- Listen to your favorite podcast.
- Respond to a therapeutic worksheet.
- Talk about your feelings. Talking about your feelings can help you stay in good mental health and deal with times when you feel troubled.
- Do something you’re good at. Sharpening your skills not only boosts your self-confidence but also exercises your brain.
- Take a break. When you feel tired or overwhelmed, stop, do something else like if you’re physically tired, do a mental exercise, or if you’re mentally tired, do a physical activity.
- Ask for help. If all fails or you’re not finding the time or energy for self-care, ask someone for help.
I hope these tips helped.