Hello and welcome to my blog! Today I want to share with you 21 things you can do before bed in order to get a better sleep. I finished the challenge last night. However, there are 2 things on the list I didn’t do, one of which is the reason why I can’t sleep well at night.
Can you guess which one it is?
A routine is very important, whether in the morning or in the evening. You may want to have the same routine everyday (shower, read, sleep for example) or you may want a weekday routine versus weekend routine, or you may simply want to try out these things one thing at a time, like I did.
1. Reflect on the day. Write at least one thing that went pretty well.
My son ate his meals without a fuss. He also went to karate class without nagging. Even though he didn’t sleep until after 11 pm and misbehaved a bit, he was relatively well behaved today.
2. Do something relaxing. Have a facial mask, do some painting, take a bath. Whatever helps you relax, do it.
I took a shower (I don’t find baths relaxing).
3. Avoid your phone at least 1 hour before going to sleep.
I wish I could do this, but I’m addicted to my phone. I pick it up as soon I wake up and as soon as I get into bed. I’ve been going to bed around 11 pm but end up on my phone for 1 to 2 hours. The closest I got to giving up my phone at night was when I hopped into bed a few days ago and my phone was 17%. Within 10 minutes, it became 3% and I had to get up and put it in the charger. I fell asleep almost immediately after because my phone wasn’t next to me. I really need to work on this because at this point, I’m self sabotaging and I’m aware of it but not actively trying to stop.
4. Drink some camomile tea or other herbal tea (decaffeinated) before bed.
I drink green tea every night before I sleep.
5. Have a good sleep environment. Keep the bedroom at a good temperature, use blackout curtains or a sleep mask to block the light.
This is a given, except I don’t like to use sleep masks, even though I have one.
6. Journal. Take the time to pause and reflect.
I journalled about something that is bothering me. I wrote it in my notebook with a pen! Not on my phone.
7. Light some scented candles and play a relaxing playlist.
Scented candles are not my thing. I don’t think I own any. However, I did play relaxing nature sounds so I’m counting this as done.
8. Do some stretching/yoga before bed.
I have been stretching more and more lately because my muscles are so pulled they hurt.
9. Write a gratitude list:
- I’m grateful for my husband. He is my confidante, my advisor, my twin flame.
- I’m grateful for my son. I love his hugs and kisses. He is so cute and smart and kissable. He is sometimes funny and tries to be brave and wants to be strong. I see in him great potential.
- I’m grateful for my parents. Despite everything, they are there for me and they love me and want what’s best for me.
10. Read a good book before going to sleep. Helps you unwind and sleep better.
I read a chapter from the book “The 3rd Girl” by Agatha Cristie. I’m usually a romance novel girl but this mystery is keeping me on my toes. I finished the book and wrote a review about it here.
11. Plan your next day. Your tasks, outfit, snacks, …
Some days I plan my tasks as soon as I wake up. Other days I plan the night before.
12. Send a special good night text to someone you love.
I bid my best friend goodnight.
13. Take a nice hot shower or bath.
I took a hot shower.
14. Cut out caffeine, alcohol, or sugar at least 3 hours before bed.
I’ve been drinking coffee once a day for months, and in the afternoon I drink black tea. I usually drink green tea in the evening but last night I had black tea at 8pm and I went to bed at 11 pm but didn’t fall asleep until half-past midnight.
15. Meditate/pray. Just be alone with your thoughts.
It’s scary for me to be alone with my thoughts. I often distract myself with podcasts, YouTube videos, TV shows, and books. That night, however, I put my phone aside for 2 minutes to appreciate how much I have and list them in my head.
16. Tidy up your space. You’ll be able to feel calmer and relaxed.
I generally keep my space tidy.
17. Have a light dinner before bed.
I try not to eat before bed, but if I must, I try to keep it light.
18. Set intentions for tomorrow.
This seems similar to task 11 but I set my intention to be productive.
19. Diffuse some essential oils to improve your sleep quality.
I don’t do essential oils. I shower with lavender scented body wash but that’s about it for me.
20. Avoid checking emails, news, studying, or working before sleep.
Lately I’ve been going on twitter before bed to promote my books but that night I didn’t.
21. Don’t go to bed hungry. Eat some almonds, a banana, or porridge to help you sleep better.
I go to bed hungry a lot, and I wake up starving! Sometimes I eat a banana, porridge or a sandwich before bed to help me fall asleep.
I hope these tips helped you. Do you follow any of these tips? Do you have a nighttime routine?
To do this challenge, go to: https://21dayschallengeapp.com/app/challenge