After doing this challenge, or attempting to, I realized I am knee-deep in my comfort zone. I had a conversation with my brother about this today. He was talking about my mood swings and how im always stressed out and often unhappy. I explained that anytime I’m out of my comfort zone, I freak out. However, I do consider that I’ve done a lot of things out of my comfort zone since covid. I still have a long way to go, since I couldn’t even complete a 21-day challenge. Let’s see what I could or couldn’t do from this challenge:
21 ways to get out of your comfort zone:
1. Wear something that’s a little different than what you would normally wear.
I’m very routine in the way I dress. However, I didn’t used to dress the way I dress now a few years ago. I didn’t used to wear pink and purple and designs. People don’t seem to notice because when I go out of my comfort zone, I venture slowly, like a turtle.
2. Tell someone they are interesting and give a reason why.
I thought of this and freaked out. 1st of all, most of the people I know are boring. To think someone is interesting is to not know them yet, because once you get to know them, you get used to the interesting parts and they become normal to you. I think anyone with hobbies or certain skills is interesting. I have a friend who can draw very well. I find that interesting because drawing takes dedication and a certain calm. I find it weird to tell her I think she is interesting because she can draw. I know someone once told me im interesting because of all the stories I have and all my various hobbies and interests.
3. Try a new recipe.
I baked an apple cake a couple weeks ago. Im baking an orange chocolate cake now (technically not a new recipe because I tried it once before) but the apple cake was a 1st try. I also cooked fettuccine for the 1st time during the same week.
4. Try a new workout (Zumba, yoga, pilates, kickboxing, etc).
I didn’t do this. I already do pilates and once in a big while, yoga, but Zumba is bad for my knees. I used to do kickboxing as a kid, until I turned 12, then I tried gymnastics.
5. Reach out to someone you haven’t spoken to in a while.
I did this, but I don’t remember who it was. In general, sadly, im usually the one who has to reach out and text 1st.
6. Take a different route while going to work/school.
I tried this, even though I don’t like to take the construction route.
7. Have a difficult conversation with someone about a topic you’ve been avoiding.
Oh boy. Im the queen of avoiding confrontations, except with my husband, I can get very confrontational. I wasn’t brave enough to do this.
8. Buy something you’d never buy at the grocery store.
I bought cooking cream for when I made the fettuccine.
9. Start learning a new language (use Duolingo for example).
I started learning Turkish! In fact, im practicing every day. Im using an app called Turkish for beginners.
10. Give someone a spontaneous gift.
I remember I gave someone a gift but I don’t remember who or what. However, recently I gifted my brother a shirt from my shop.
11. Ask for help if you need it or help someone without them asking.
I don’t keep track of who I help and how but im generally a helpful person to my loved ones. I don’t go above and beyond to help, but I do help. Im not one to ask for help, though.
12. Make plans for the weekend or for your day off.
I visited my mom and in laws during the weekend. I don’t really make plans on Saturday and Sunday. I just go with it.
13. Try a new hobby/sport that you’ve always wanted to.
Nothing came to mind.
14. Start a conversation with a stranger.
Does that time I asked a stranger what her 1st impression of me was count?
15. Try a digital detox today.
Im too much in the house to try this. Ivent done a 24 hour digital detox in a long time, though.
16. Create a vision board (get inspired on Pinterest).
Vision boards aren’t really my thing. I often visualize my life after one of my books become a bestseller.
17. Take yourself out on a date.
I don’t feel comfortable with this…
18. Ask someone on a date/compliment someone who intimidates you.
Im married so I can’t ask anyone out on a date, and nobody intimidates me so im not sure who im supposed to compliment. However, saying and accepting compliments makes me very uncomfortable, when they’re face to face. I do compliment people via text all the time. Does that count?
19. Start a blog/youtube channel/new Instagram page/a book, whatever your heart desires, give it a try.
I already have a blog, a YouTube channel, 2 Instagram pages, 10 books, and a podcast. This month I started 2 shops so im counting that as flying out of my comfort zone.
20. Go somewhere new to eat or to take out.
I haven’t been going out lately because A) I was sick B) I have no friends and C) I don’t want to splurge unnecessarily
21. Start a new challenge with a friend (you can use one from this app or create your own). Or simply share this challenge 🙂
I’m sharing this challenge with you all!
To do this challenge, go to: https://21dayschallengeapp.com/app/challenge
As you can see, I did at least half of the challenges so im not waist-deep in my comfort zone as some people who know me claim. However, I do have a lot of work to do to get out of my comfort zone. Most of the things im uncomfortable with revolve around people and risk due to my social anxiety and my fear of failure, respectively.